"It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn your statutes." Psalm 119:71

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chemo 4

Mom came with me to this last chemo session. We forgot to take the picture until halfway through the ivs, so I am very pale in this picture. (Not sure why but I'm always very pale after chemo.)
Like always, Paul came and started off the day with prayer. I had to give up my normal spot because someone had beat me to it. As soon as I sat down in the chair I started feeling nauseous. Just another example of how strong the mind is! I felt sick just from knowing what was coming!

Several things about this specific chemo were unusual. First, the nurse ran my bloodwork just like normal. When she came back with the results she said, "Do you feel like you've been run over by a car?" Turns out my hemoglobin was low. Normally, women want that number to be around 14. During chemo they try to keep you above 10. I was at an 8.6 and this past week it dropped more to a 7.

I don't know if it's this number or not, but it took me a loooot longer to bounce back from this chemo than the previous two. In fact, today, eleven days later, I'm still not 100%. This could be a result of low hemoglobin or maybe it's just an accumulation of all the drugs in my system finally getting the best of me. For the last week and a half I pretty much just stayed on the couch.

Terry's been wonderful at picking up the slack. He's doing all the cleaning and laundry. And not complaining at all!

On the up side, I've had no headaches or body aches this time around. Normally I get a headache before I'm out of the chair, but this time I've had none. And the Neulasta shot has previously made me achy all over and I was spared that this time, too.

Unfortunately, sleep is worse this time. I'm tired by 8 p.m. but I try to not get in bed till close to 10. I fall asleep right away but wake up at 1 and from there I'm pretty much up till the next morning. Which I'm sure is also adding to my recent fatigue.

But, the best news of all is that I'm on the downside of chemo!!!!!!! I'm a month away from my last treatment and about 6 weeks away from no more side effects! No more "chemo coma!" Oh, I can't wait for the return of my brain cells!

Four down....Two to Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

And of course, I've learned something from all this fatigue- everyone whose been saying, "It could be worse" since the beginning, was right! I can't imagine having had to abandon my life due to fatigue for the previous two months. I've been whiny enough about it just for this last week and a half. It's depressing to miss days and days of the real world because you can't get off the couch. I've been the most whiny this time around. I know that's because I stopped thinking about all I have to be grateful for. No more wallowing though. I'm over it. Thank you for allowing me my moment of weakness. I'm back focusing on God and all He's doing for me and my family!

2 comments:

  1. I'M SO EXCITED THAT YOU'RE ALMOST DONE!! Can we have a chemo-free party along with the cancer-free party? Do I really even need to ask permission for an extra celebration?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and emails keep me going. So keep 'em coming!