"It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn your statutes." Psalm 119:71

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Here We Go

Tomorrow is chemotherapy treatment 5 of 6. I can see light at the end of the tunnel! I honestly try not to think of chemo until it's the day of. I've said it a million times, but I really am lucky to have had such an easy time of chemo so far. Last time around my complaint list grew. I had the awful fatigue, of course. And some vision trouble and dizziness. But those only hung around for a day or two.

But let's go back and take a look at the symptoms I could have had. That's a great way to get me thinking positively before I go plop my skinnier-by-the-day-thanks-to-Susan P.-and-the-nutritionist butt down into the chemo chair!

-hypersensitivity reaction: shortness of breath, flushing, low blood pressure, cough, and chest pain.  NOPE, none of that!

-skin rash, red scaly, swollen or peeling areas of skin, changes in skin color or nails. No rash, no scaly, swollen skin, no changes in skin or nail color. I have had much drier skin lately but that's such a teeny issue. I'd imagine that overall, chemo is going to age me a bit and I've definitely noticed less elacsticity in my skin. Small price to pay to actually be here long enough to see wrinkles someday!

-fevers, chills, joint pain, back pain. Yes to the fever, yes to joint pain. No unusual back pain.

-decrease in blood cell counts leading to infection and bleeding. Lowered cell counts, sure, but no infection, or bleeding though.

-sores in mouth and/or throat. Not really.

-numbness and/or tingling of hands and feet, weakness, tiredness. I had tingling/numb feet for a whopping 12 hours only. Weakness and tiredness, sure.

-fluid retention, usually begins in legs but may be generalized. Nu-uh.

-nausea and/or vomiting--usually mild. Mild. haha, yeah there's been nausea. It has not been mild. But praise God for no vomiting!

-hair loss. Yeah, but really, who cares?

-Urine color may turn reddish-orange during the first 48 hours. Not 48 hrs, not even 24 hours. Just one trip to the bathroom and this side-effect is over for me.

-pain, redness, or swelling at the intravenous site caused from a leakage of the drug. Not even a little bit.

-rapid and/or irregular heartbeat, chest pain, or shortness of breath. Rapid heartbeat, a few times. Shortness of breath only after chemo #1.

-increased sensitivity to sun, use sun screens when outdoors during the day. What sun? What outdoors?

-darkening of soles, palms, and nails. Again, nope.

-bladder irriataion and bleeding needs to be reported immediately. Thank God that this one is a 'no.'

-sinus congestion. Only a little bit during the week after chemo. Such a small thing I barely notice it.

-metallic taste. Metallic, mold, soap taste. Yes.

-low sodium levels, may lead to seizures or confusion, uncommon. Nope. Sodium levels are showing ok.

-potential fertility problems. We'll probably never know.

So of all those possibe side effects I've only had nine. And except for nausea, metallic taste, and weakness the others have been no big deal at all! (Well, the baldness is a big one too. It just wasn't near as bad as I thought so I forget this one a lot!)

I think that's pretty amazing. God has been blessing me this whole way through. Now if only I can focus on that during this next week or so, I'll be doing great. I can't wait till this next sickness passes and I can say, Only One More To Go!!

2 comments:

  1. Wahhoo!!! One more after today! Praying for you and PTL for only 9 side effects. That is amazing! Love you girl!! You are an amazingly strong woman who shines God's love to people everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude! I know it's hard to keep, but it does make things a little easier to deal with! We are always praying for you. My prayer this time around is that these next few days will go by quickly, with minimum side effects. We're rootin' for ya!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and emails keep me going. So keep 'em coming!