"It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn your statutes." Psalm 119:71

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Visit with Dr. Zimmerman

I saw the surgeon today to get my drainage tubes removed and the rest of the bandages taken off.

I don't know why, but it hadn't even occured to me that getting the tubes removed would hurt. Probably because I was so tired of feeling them alongside half my upper body and I was just looking forward to having them removed.

I lied back on the table and Dr. Zimmerman warned me that removing them would "burn a little." (I thought, "Ok, not so bad.") Then, as Terry took my hand, she looked at him and said, "Are you going to be ok watching this? Because lots of men go down." ("Um, that sounds worse!") She continues, "We've had to call 911 several times. And I hate calling because they send so many firetrucks everytime." ("AAAGGGHHH!")

Well, turns out Terry did fine. But I am a big 'ole weenie and, for me, this was bad. The worst part of any of the whole surgery process. I should have prepared and doubled up on hydrocodone.

Thankfully, she had some good news to distract me with. Despite what they'd originally thought, only TWO of the ten nodes they sampled were positive! Before and after the surgery we'd been led to believe there were a lot, so we're very excited to hear how God's already healing me!

On the way to the doctor's office, Terry and I prayed that we would continue having open minds and eyes to learn as much as we can through this process. And at the end of our appointment, my surgeon shared that one of her good friends, a fellow surgeon who'd helped with my mastectomy, was diagnosed just two days later with breast cancer, herself. It reminded Terry and I that even on a good day for us, there are people all over the world having the worst day of their life. The pain is everywhere and we're simply not in a place to be able to ignore it anymore.

This scripture has been on my mind a lot since our diagnosis:
"When Jesus entered Peter's house, he saw his mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever; he touched her hand, and the fever left her, and she got up and began to serve him." Matthew 8:14-15

I want to be like that. I want to get up and serve as soon as I'm healed.

8 comments:

  1. PRAISE GOD!! HE is good! I'm so happy to hear you got some good news--only 2 out of 10 YAY!!! I've been praying all day for HIM to heal and ease your pain. We'll add your surgeon's friend to our prayer list, too. Thanks for the updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord! Wonderful lesson about serving the Lord continuously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news!!! I love reading your blog and updates!! Hope to see you soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are already serving God in a very powerful way. Every blog entry is evidence of that. I am so happy the drains are out and I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome report. We are believing for complete healing for you and it will be a wonderful day when you can get up and start serving the Lord like you wrote. We serve Jehovah Rapha our healer and HE cares about our every need. You are HIS daughter and HE has great plans in store for you. Love Ya and know you and your family are daily in our hearts and thoughts =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise the Lord! That is definitely GREAT news. I would be a big ol' weenie too so I understand. Good thing we both married strong men! Have a wonderful Mother's Day and enjoy your boys (my future grandson-in-laws). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news Sarah!! God is going to do great things through this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I want to be like that. I want to get up and serve as soon as I'm healed."

    And you will. :) Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and emails keep me going. So keep 'em coming!